Tuesday, May 01, 2007

From behind the lens

On another note, I have mentioned him in the past, but David Farmerie has been preparing a re design of his own site. He has added podcasts and a blog and there should be some more images pretty soon. His web site blog is here http://davidfarmerie.com/txp and the web site is here http://www.davidfarmerie.com

I was reading his newest blog http://photographersplace.blogspot.com recently with this entry:

What Moves You?

This is the question that I would ask of any image maker wanting to know what genre of photography to explore. It is also the question that I would pose to any image maker asking how to go about choosing a personal project.

As an example, a friend of mine - who is an aspiring photographer, began shooting sports for a local newspaper but he wanted more. He took on a personal project that moved him - that he was passionate about, and created a blog and photo site. (http://causaleffect.blogspot.com/)

I actually had to read it twice because I didn't realize the paragraph was about me. I am flattered. I just need to live up to my own hype and begin producing images for the One-A-Day-2007 Organ Donation Awareness Project. Besides the many obstacles I run into, I don't have much accountability. There isn't anyone over my shoulder saying I need to fill a quota, or have a certain portion of the project done by a certain date. It's all self paced and self regulating. Which is exactly why the last 45 days have been a total bust.

I am still passionate about organ donation. I go through life right now figuratively looking through a camera lens. I watch people all day wondering what they would look like with a certain lens. I watch the shadows fall across their face. I see how the nose casts a shadow and want a Canon "L" lens that will show the smile lines on their cheeks. I even went to a second hand store to buy some interesting clothes for the time I actually get to shoot in a studio. Hats, shirts and a few skirts. I think my daughter snagged a few though.

I bought People magazines 100 most beautiful edition. When I look at the pictures, I am looking into the reflections in the eyes and trying to see if they are using a softbox or octobox, a strip light, reflector or natural lights from the sky or windows.

(Note to all: A Canon 85mm L f/1.2 or an 85mm f/1.8 would fit nicely in my mailbox....in case someone has an extra laying around).

I drive around looking at trees, signs and buildings wondering when the best light will be. I get butterflies in my stomach when I see people gathering for ice cream or sitting down for dinner. It takes all I have to not just stare, observe and want to take pictures.

David mentions the "zone" in his new blog. Last weekend I was in the zone. I got some really good soccer shots. They aren't at the level of those on SportsShooter, but some day, some day.

No comments: