Saturday, February 10, 2007

Glacial speed ahead

I made it out of Columbus Wednesday night. The roads were fine but I could see on the median where some cars had crossed into the grass either from a driver deciding that they wanted to go a different direction from accidents or emergency vehicles. Regardless, there were a lot of tracks in the median on the roughly, three hour drive home.

I wasn't able to talk to many people, except for the waitress at Red Robin. Then there was so much work piled up for me, I didn't even really take lunch when I got back to the office. It's been eleven days since I have been able to get a portrait for the One-A-Day-2007 project. That doesn't bode well for my ratio of portraits days to non portrait days. But I have been able to talk to a few people. There was the couple at the book store cafe, the girl at Red Robin and I was able to talk to a couple of donut makers today. One was not an organ donor. She doesn't even have a drivers license yet. The other was an organ donor. I asked why and how she came to the decision of being an organ donor. She said that it was the right thing. When she dies, she can't use the organs so they might as well go to some good for someone else. I wanted to talk to her more, but she went to attend to paying customers.

The non donor, was still available so I chatted with her about a few things. One was that when she does get her license, and if she decides to be a donor, she must discuss it with her family. She did go on to say that she had heard hat if you are in an accident and end up in a coma, the doctors will not save you so they can take your organs. I replied to the contrary but with a caution. I am sure it could have happened and it can happen. My reality of it is that even a doctor doesn't know if any organs are viable to transfer so the risk of letting someone die with the possibility of a transfer is way too risky.

The fear of doctors letting you die to take your organs is a common theme I hear so many times. Like everything, if something is repeated often enough, it "becomes truth". I hope and trust that the information I repeat is true and factual. It's very important to me that there is some integrity to my project.

Since I have reduced altered my focus of the One-A-Day-2007 project. I am concentrating on the message of organ donation with the hope I can get a photo. But it's not the primary goal now. I did pick up a digital voice recorder so that if I get the opportunity to do an interview, I can record it to get better stories and ensure I can quote people accurately.

Again, accuracy and integrity is paramount.

No comments: