Thursday, December 21, 2006

(almost) open for business

I have been busy preparing for my One-A-Day-2007 project that starts in a little over a week. I have typed up a little sheet to help promote the cause. I have business cards with the flickr site as well as my email address. The blog will have the link and the photo site will have the link to the blog.

Then there is the issue of how to approach my subjects. As I mentioned above. I wrote up a "news release" of sorts, to hand out to people in addition to my business card. It has a little history and an explanation of what the project is about. My biggest concern is how people will react when I ask them if they are an organ donor. That's a pretty personal issue and when you combine it with me taking a picture, asking them to sign a photo release (with address) it all get's to the edge of creepy. I am sure everyone will come up with all sorts of images of lying in a bathtub filled with ice. Well, of course it's not going to be like that. But I still want to make it as comfortable for them as possible.

I did try my approach with my son. I stumbled across several key ponts and remember not looking him in the eyes. He responded with a "screw you". Then he promptly apologized for the language. But he recognized the role playing and I got a good response. (No, he wasn't in touble with the language). My daughter of course took the other road and I worked her knowing she would say yes. But I still stumbled on the delivery. It will take some time and practice.

No comments: