Tuesday, November 21, 2006

More facts and figures

Here are some stats from www.ustransplant.org

Center: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (PAPT)
Organ: LI: Liver

Center Activity (01/01/2005-12/31/2005) Center Data
Deceased donor transplants (n=number) 186
Living donor transplants (n) 36
On waitlist at start (n) 342
On waitlist at end (n) 338
Number of new patient registrations (n) 290
Transplant rate among waitlist patients 0.67
Transplant rate (from deceased donors) among waitlist patients 0.56
Alive on waitlist one year after listing (%) 22
Died on waitlist without transplant within one year after listing (%) 8.2


These are some sobering figures for me. Granted they are for the recipient whereas I am the donor.

One of the items that came up repeatedly during my psych visit was the very real possiblity for depression after I undergo the liver donation. Since this is an elective surgery for me, I will receive ZERO health benefits. On the contrary, my health will be in jeapordy. Long term issues have not been fully studied. Psychologically, financially, emotionally. Living donors currently become a bit of an after thought. If the recipient dies, and the numbers support that reality, then it will be all for naught.

I am trying to make sure that doesn't happen to me and if I can provide a path of information to others, they too will be able to make a better decision that will affect them the rest of their lives.8.2

No comments: